Amye Dickerson Answers the ‘Study Breaks’ Questionnaire

Baylor's Amye Dickerson talks about the Astros, salsa and her secret penchant for freestyling in this month's questionnaire.

Meet the President with Baylor University’s Amye Dickerson. 

1. What is your major? I am a Baylor Business Fellow studying Finance and Economics! I also have additional minors in Political Science and History.

2. What is your dream job? I just accepted my dream job as a management consulting analyst! Ultimately, I could envision myself returning to higher education in the future, though.

3. What academic focus most interests you? Some of my favorite classes at Baylor have been my history classes, specifically in Post-Civil War History and American Civil Rights. In the spring, I am taking a class on Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.’s legacy that I am really excited about.

4. What are your intellectual strengths? I am a very task-oriented person, but I also am able to meet people where they are and understand their concerns and/or perspectives.

5. What will you never understand? How some people willingly choose to hurt others through their words and actions.

6. What qualities do you most admire in a person? Confidence, trustworthiness and empathy.

7. What is your most marked characteristic? Always playing music. I hate being in a silent setting, so my Spotify playlist is on repeat constantly.

8. What angers you? Those who do not care for the people around them.

9. What is currently on your mind? How many hours of sleep I am going to get tonight.

10. What historical figure do you admire? I really admire Margaret Thatcher. She was able to stand up and fight for what she believed at a time in which many did not respect her because she was a woman. She influenced so many under her and challenged the opinions of many.

11. Who are your favorite sports teams? I mainly follow college basketball and football, but I also really enjoy watching the ’Stros (World Champs!!), the Nationals, the Patriots, the Texans and the Cowboys!

12. What’s the last book you read? I recently read “The Servant” by James Hunter.

13. What music are you into at the moment? Country, pop and hip-hop are always go-tos for me. Lately, I have had Khalid on repeat.

14. When you’re cooking, what is your go-to meal? I always have eggs for breakfast, preferably with salsa on the side! My roommates make fun of me because my grocery list is the exact same every time that I go to the store.

15. What’s your biggest struggle as a student? Balancing my various commitments with schoolwork, my role as student body president, and finding time for my friends! I love being busy though, so it is completely worth the struggle in planning everything out.

16. What’s the last movie you watched? I finally watched the latest Beauty and the Beast movie! It was my favorite tale as a child, so I loved seeing the remake as an adult.

17. What is your most treasured possession? I inherited a matching set of silver candlesticks from my great aunt whom I greatly admired. They are gorgeous and remind me so much of her.

18. What is your typical outfit? If it were up to me, I would choose to wear jeans, booties and a flannel every day but (1.) Texas is too hot for that and (2.) I typically wear business casual/formal to class.

19. What’s the best class you’ve taken in college? The most incredible course I took at Baylor was Entrepreneurial Finance. It was taught by a professor who really took an interest in our work from the very beginning and empowered us to deliver the best results each day.

20. What is your favorite place to eat? Torchy’s Tacos!! I could eat there every day and be completely content. Their queso and breakfast tacos are unbeatable.

21. What’s a secret talent of yours? I like to think it’s my rapping abilities…others may disagree with that statement.

22. Where do you want to go most in the world? I have always wanted to go to Cape Town, South Africa. The pictures I have seen are absolutely breathtaking and the perfect combination of mountains and beaches.

23. If you could change one thing about yourself, what would it be? I definitely wish I was more musically gifted. When I was little, I wanted to be a professional singer, but then I realized I could not carry a tune to save my life.

24. Where do you hang out on campus? Definitely in my office in the Student Union Building. Some days it feels as if I do not leave.

25. Where would you be if not in college? Traveling Europe. I still plan on doing that as soon as I leave college.

26. What makes you nervous? I am definitely the most nervous when I do not have a set plan for some aspect of my position or my future. I am such a planner that I hate having to wait to figure out what is next.

27. What is your biggest indulgence? Coffee is definitely my biggest indulgence. There are a lot of great coffee shops in Waco that I frequent often.

28. What living person would you most like to meet? George Strait! I really regret not being able to see him perform at the Houston Rodeo a few years ago.

29. What is important to you right now? Finishing this year strong and continuing to spend as much time with my family and friends as I can.

30. What is your greatest achievement? I would say that winning student body president is my greatest achievement. I entered my freshman year as a shy, naïve seventeen-year-old. I never could have imagined that I would have campaigned before the entire Student Body just three years later.

31. What is your motto? “Y’all!”