3 College Parties That Have Nothing to Do with Alcohol

If you can’t join ‘em, beat with these different ways of having a good time.

Popular movies such as “Pitch Perfect” and “Drumline” along with television shows such as  “A Different World” have helped shape the perception people have of college life. Stereotypical college films usually feature a person who may be attending college for the first time or has yet to fully adjust to it. Over the course of the semester, students are faced with a series of difficult circumstances or one overarching vexing dilemma through which the main character comes to some realizations and creates connections that help them overcome their situation and grow as a person. Somewhere in the mix there is a professor they come to love or hate passionately, some roommates they initially feel uneasy about that they eventually come to love (or vice versa) and often a romance. Then there’s the pinnacle of the movie: the party scene.

A college movie without a party scene is comparable to a glass of soda without the carbonation. It falls flat. The party scene often serves as the “volta,” or turn, in a movie. During a party scene, the protagonist may have a casual encounter with someone who is important to the plot of the movie, be compelled to try or do something they never have before, experience something embarrassing or get into a fight. The party scene usually deliver the climax of the movie, which happens in front of a huge audience or in the midst of oblivious partygoers, but it also represents the apex of fun a person can have on a college campus. During these scenes, boys and girls are seen playing games, dancing and generally releasing the stressors of college life and have a good time.

Because of that, unorthodox as it sounds, colleges should consider using parties as part of commercials to draw students in. It could be said with confidence that parties are among the main considerations for students when it come to their school choice, which introduced to category of “party school.” In fact, the Princeton Review releases a list of party schools annually. However, the media depicts only a certain type of college party that usually involves an element of smoking or drinking in order to have fun, along with a plethora of irresponsible and reckless behaviors. Not everyone wants to engage in those activities. So then what? Is that the end of it? Do these individuals not get to experience the height of fun when they are at college? Not so!

For those who find themselves not fitting in directly into the stereotypical party culture, here are a few suggestions for alternative parties if you will, that you can attend (or throw) and still have a great time.

1. Study Party

Regardless of which college you go to, the education portion still plays the central role in the college’s existence. And even if you care absolutely nothing for education, at most colleges, if your grade point average drops below a certain level then you can be kicked out of the school. Therefore, keeping your grades up is very important no matter what!

Group study does not always need to happen in the library (Image via The Pieper Review)

These study parties are a great way for people to study for their classes and properly enjoy themselves at the same time. When some people hear “study party,” they probably imagine a bunch of students sit around with open textbooks attempting to quiz one another but turn out actually doing more talking and joking than studying, and that is about the extent of the fun. This way is neither an effective nor fun.

In a proper study party, there are plenty of games. The kicker is that all of these games are based on concepts of the subject to be studied. These games can be inspired by real one, either borrowed from google or completely made up, so long as there are plenty of them and they all focus on the study subject. Textbooks would of course be available, but only to clarify/explain an answer or find an answer when no one knows it. If you are the party organizer, you must know a lot about the subject since you will be the one creating the questions, so you better start studying now.

2. Worship Party

Some faiths, such as Christianity, speak directly against the activities you are expected to engage in at a regular college party. In the book of Romans, as found in the Christian Bible, Apostle Paul states quite bluntly, “Because we belong to the day, we must live decent lives for all to see. Don’t participate in the darkness of wild parties and drunkenness, or in sexual promiscuity and immoral living, or in quarreling and jealousy. Instead, clothe yourself with the presence of the Lord Jesus Christ. And don’t let yourself think about ways to indulge your evil desires. (Romans 13: 13-14 [New Living Translation]).” So, if you were a Christian, you would have give up the parties for the sake of following Jesus.

Luckily, a worship party is available to you. This is a great way to meet fellow believers who may be on the outskirts of the party scene as well. Together, you can spend time in the presence of the Lord, sing to Him, talk about life, and encourage each other in face of hardship. To ease your quest of finding a worship party to join or getting people to come to your party, you might want to participate in an on-campus ministry club and bring up the topic there.

3. Party of One

Among the other parties stated, this does not seem to be the most appealing one. After all, is it really a party if only one person attends? And that person is you? These parties of one could turn out to be one of the best parties you could ever have.

Quality time for yourself may act amazingly on your physical and mental well-being (Image via Times Higher Education)

As a college student or even as a growing adult with responsibilities, you barely get a moment to yourself, and the moments spent alone are usually dedicated to completing work, but by consciously taking time off to relax, you may heal much both physically and mentally. Do what you enjoy, even if it is as simple as listening to your favorite song or reading a book with a cup of tea. You may see the difference instantly.

So by now you have caught on that this is technically not a party. But during a party of one, you can set aside time to really focus on yourself. You think about goals in life, whether you are truly happy doing what you want at that moment, what you imagine your future to look like, etc. It is just really a time of introspection.