Here Are All the New and Returning Shows to Look out for This Fall

The autumn brings a bountiful harvest this year.

With the advent of autumn comes the return of many fall TV show premieres. Whether the shows are new or returning, they’re being advertised to no end across apartments and dorm rooms nationwide. With scores of shows and countless ads bombarding viewers every day, how are we to decide what to watch?

Included in the upcoming fall premieres are some new series that viewers can venture into exploring, as well as some returning favorites that may require viewers to binge (or re-binge) to prepare themselves for the show’s new season.

New Shows

Superhero Binge: The Gifted

The premise of “The Gifted” is that a family is on the lam due to the children having supernatural powers. So of course, they team up with a set of underground mutants to stay in hiding and survive. This show is based on the X-Men universe as noted by the abundance of mutant characters.

The cast of this show is fairly star-studded, with Jamie Chung (“Once Upon A Time”) as Blink and Stephen Moyer (“True Blood”) as Reed Strucker, the father who’s taking his family on the run. Viewers can watch “The Gifted” premiere on Fox Oct. 2 at 9 p.m. EST.

Medical Drama: The Good Doctor

This ABC show is about a young surgeon named Shaun Murphy who works in the pediatric surgical unit of a swanky hospital. Oh, and one other thing: he has Savant syndrome.

With a solid cast and storyline, this medical drama based off of a South Korean TV series seems like it’ll engage fans who are still recovering from “Grey’s Anatomy.” Freddie Highmore stars as the titular doctor in this new series that premieres on Sept. 25 at 10 p.m. EST on ABC. 

Action/Thriller: The Brave

“The Brave” is not your average TV drama series. Fusing action with heart, “The Brave” recounts the tales of different military heroes as they undergo special assignments on the battlefront. The show works on and off the ground as the special ops squad works with the government to ensure justice, while facing personal problems as well.

With a diverse cast playing as the special ops task force, “The Brave” seems to have a promising story about the valiant people who work to ensure our freedoms. This NBC show premieres on Sept. 25 at 10 p.m. EST.

Documentary Series: The Story of Us

If you’re in a meta kind of mood and aren’t crazy about fictional shows, then “The Story of Us” just might be for you. It’s a documentary series airing on the National Geographic channel that explores the common forces that unite the human race.

The series is a sequel of sorts to Morgan Freeman’s “The Story of God,” and our favorite velvety-voiced actor returns as the host. Join America’s favorite actor-narrator as he embarks on a journey to understand the human species’ thirst for power, love and community. “The Story of Us” airs on National Geographic on Oct. 11.

Netflix Pick: The Punisher

This show, premiering on Netflix at some point this fall (and the unannounced release date is driving fans crazy) is yet another series to add to the streaming service’s Marvel collection. This series delves into the story of Frank Castle, a man whose entire family was murdered.

Even though Castle made an appearance in the other Netflix hit, “Daredevil,” this show is all about Castle’s backstory. Haunted by their deaths, this series shows viewers how Frank’s character became The Punisher, seeking out vengeance for his family with violence. Although the official date has not been released yet, rumors suggest that “The Punisher” is slated to premiere in November.

Returning Shows

Tear-Jerker: This Is Us Season 2

“This is Us” is back for another heartwarming season on NBC. This Emmy-winning TV show picks up where season one left off. Mandy Moore and Milo Ventimiglia star as the parents of three kids whose lives continue to intertwine through the years, facing decisions that shape each of their lives.

With a star-studded cast and a meaningful story that can relate to millions, “This Is Us” should be on your watch list, regardless of your typical television tastes. Season two seems to have a promising story for viewers, so make sure to have your tissues on hand when the show returns on Sept. 26 at 9 p.m. EST.

Teen Drama: Riverdale Season 2

Ah yes, “Riverdale:: the spicy, mysterious teen drama that (lowkey) everyone has been watching. This series returns to the CW for a second season of dark drama that’s based off of the beloved Archie comics. With the last episode of season one ending with quite a cliffhanger, there’s another mystery for the gang to unravel. Plus, it doesn’t hurt that viewers will be getting more of Cole Sprouse and Lili Reinhart’s on-screen chemistry as Jughead and Betty. “Riverdale” returns to the CW at 8 p.m. EST on Oct. 11.

Telenovela Comedy: Jane the Virgin Season 4

This show has been on air for several years already, but it’s still worthy of being mentioned. The CW’s “Jane the Virgin” is more than just the average romance comedy because it picks fun at modern telenovelas in an artful way. The protagonist, Jane, juggles raising a child while being a virgin (although spoiler alert, things have changed in that area).

Between the drama, family, Latin vibes and intrigue, there’s enough content in this series to appease even the pickiest of viewers. You can start binging “Jane the Virgin” on Netflix before its season four premiere on Oct. 13 at 9 p.m. EST.

80’s Nostalgia: Stranger Things Season 2

Our favorite kids are back in this sci-fi series, picking up where the last season left off. Now that Will Byers has been recovered from the Upside Down, all would seem to be back to normal, right?

Well, new characters are coming to Hawkins, Indiana, to wreak some havoc on our beloved characters’ almost-normalcy. Also, viewers will find out where exactly Eleven has been. Make sure to catch up on “Stranger Things” before it returns to Netflix on Oct. 27.

Christina Vazquez, University of Central Florida 

Christina Vazquez

University of Central Florida
English & Political Science