The Top 6 Cities to Visit on a Student Budget

If you want to see the world, but have to do so on a student budget and in between classes, start with these beautiful, affordable destinations.

Traveling while you’re in college is an incredible experience. It’s a great chance to see a bit of the world before you become tied down by work and family commitments, and it will help you mature, grow and develop a sense of independence. If you are studying a course, such as an international relations degree, it will also give you a chance to get hands-on experience of different cultures, laws and societies that you could never gain in a classroom.

However, when you are traveling on a student budget and you’ve got endless exams and assignments to study for, it can be tricky. You may choose to travel one country at a time instead of taking time out to travel the world. If this is what you are planning to do, here are six of the cities that are fantastic on a student budget that you won’t want to miss.

1. Berlin

Berlin is a fantastic city that is packed with history and culture, but also a thriving nightlife and art scene. There is something for everyone in Berlin, as many of the museums and exhibits are free and there is cheap street food to sample. It’s ideal for a student budget. To save money, fly with budget airlines and check out student hostels.

2. Paris

Paris is one of those places that everyone wants to see at some point in their lives. It can be expensive, but that is true of most places. If you are traveling on a budget, avoid the main tourist areas and instead check out small, family-run eateries and galleries, as well as street food and art.

Just walking through the streets of Paris, admiring the views and chatting to the people, is an experience not to be missed.

3. Barcelona

Barcelona has a great street art scene, which means there is plenty to see without needing to spend a penny.

Food can be expensive, but markets are cheap and the locals will be happy to pass on recipes if you want to have a go at creating your own Spanish delights. Check out Airbnb if you want to find a convenient and central location on a budget.

4. Ecuador

Ecuador offers plenty to see without having to spend a fortune. There’s the architecture of colonial Ecuador, the rain forest, beautiful plazas and old fashioned cobbled streets.

Check out the open-air markets and free walking tours to make the most of the city.

5. Nicaragua

Nicaragua in Central America is well known for its lakes, volcanoes, and beaches, which means that the views are fantastic.

Nicaragua is the perfect destination for both a relaxing beach break and an adventure. Hotels and food are relatively inexpensive and there’s plenty to see on a budget.

6. Romania

Visiting Romania is a bit like stepping into a Grimm fairy-tale. Filled with folklore and beauty, Romania is a great city to visit while you are at college. Check out hostel dorms and cheap travel passes to save money.

If you are interested in continuing your travels after graduation, or even working around your travels, then consider an international affairs masters, which could take you all over the world while earning a great wage and helping others.

1. It’s great to see Romania as one of the most affordable travel destinations for students, although it’s not a city, it’s a country. Perhaps Romanian cities such as Bucharest, Brasov, Sibiu, Timisoara etc. should be included on this list. 🙂