Presidential Success

Because it can’t be all bad.

By Mary Kiser, Trident Technical College

If you hate Donald Trump, then you’ve come to the right place.

The newest president been the center of controversy since his campaign days. And though he’s championed as a populist, people are hesitant to voice their support. After all, he’s an alleged perpetrator that has made racist remarks and mocked the disabled.

Still, while Trump’s blunders are broadcasted, people are too quick to judge him; they only see his onscreen comments, not to mention the input of various media outlets.

However, people hardly see the softer side of Trump. Millionaires can be kind, especially when it behooves their public approval rating, and even the Donald is not without his few moments of compassion. Only a few months into his presidency, Trump has already brought his grandchildren into the Oval Office to sign an executive order, paid tribute to the armed forces and taken actions to support working women. Yes, it’s easy to condemn his bluster, and doing so is not without reason, but it’s rarely the case that people are wholly evil or wholly good. President Trump may have done a lot of negative things while in office, but he has also made some positive changes.

Here are just five instances of Trump showing that he too is capable of good deeds.

1. Syrian Safe Zones

Trump wants to establish safe zones in Syria, which means places of provision and shelter, so refugees will be fed, clothed, housed and treated by a medical team. At least one man is excited about the president’s plan.

President Trump Spreads Positivity in His Own Way

Kassem Eid (Image via New York Times)

Kassem Eid, who survived a 2013 chemical gas attack in Syria, would rather his nation live in a temporary safe zone near their homeland than relocate to the U.S. He knows that Trump is trying to help him and his loved ones, and he’s also helping Americans, who are concerned about terrorist activity. At least Trump’s implementing his best solution for both parties, right?

2. Pro Bono Proponent

Sexagenarian Annabel Hill was going to lose her farm because of hundreds of thousands of dollars of debt. When her husband committed suicide, she was in a financial chokehold. Trump saw her story on the news, and his heart hurt for her. He had to help Hill, no matter the cost. The mogul threatened her bank with a lawsuit if the bankers continued with Hill’s foreclosure, and he helped raise funds to boot.

During the 30-day option period, a donation drive to collect the $187,000 necessary to pay the debt was launched. It instantly took off, thanks in no small part to Trump’s celebrity connections. He saved more than a farm; he saved an integral piece of the widow, her children and her grandchildren.

3. Potential LGBTQ+ Advocate

Trump and his administration have been under the microscope regarding several issues, one of which is the LGBTQ+ community. Will they continue the domestic rights progress heralded under the Obama administration, or will the newly elected POTUS roll back some of the initiatives of the former adminstration? Their intentions will soon be revealed through their policies, but people should hope for the best. Ivanka Trump and her husband, Jared Kushner, may push the president toward a liberal mindset.

In fact, according to “Politico,” two sources close to Kushner and Ivanka Trump say the couple favors putting out a clear statement from the president, promising to uphold the 2014 Obama executive order, which protects employees from anti-LGBTQ workplace discrimination.

Trump respects his daughter, and he highly values her opinion, so he may take her advice. If he does, he’s smarter than people realize.

4. Medical Intervention

Not only has Trump donated time, effort, energy and money into Hill’s fiscal fiasco, he’s also helped another person in dire need. A three-year-old boy was turned away from a Los Angeles airline, but he, his parents and his nurses needed to fly to New York. The preschooler had to see a doctor upstate, so Trump made sure the child reached his destination on time.

Image via Luxatic

According to the “Political Insider,” Trump made his plane available for the special trip to New York after the boy’s parents called him and told him of their plight. The boys father averred that Mr. Trump did not hesitate for a second when asked to help, instead immediately arranging plans to get the young boy the medical attention he need.

Trump wanted to take care of the boy and his family. How sweet!

5. Tweet Crazy

Trump is probably the zaniest president in the history of the United States, and he’s made no qualms about who he is. Whether he’s troubled by crowd sizes or Snoop Dogg, at least the man’s upfront about his feelings.

Instead of choosing a poised and proper method of address, all the president of the free world does is log into this Twitter account and spill his feeling in ALL CAPS AT RANDOM TIMES OF THE NIGHT. Jokes aside, his tweets provide more than comic relief; they allow anyone, anywhere to know what’s on the president’s mind, as well as give constituents an opportunity to see their commander-in-chief in a familiar light.

Even if he’s tweeting about “fake news” or “the failing New York Times,” viewers feel like they’re connecting with an civilian, not a pompous politician.