What You Should Do to Prep for the Spring Semester

Here’s how to make your resolution to get a 4.0 a little bit more attainable.

Here we are again, ladies and gentlemen.

The beginning of a new year, full of hopes and ambitions. Whether this is your first spring semester in college or your last, you should know what to prepare for and how to prepare for it. From class registration to job hunts, there are things that you’ll want to get done to start this semester off right. Now maybe you can start ticking some of those New Year’s resolutions off of your list a little earlier than expected.

1. Set up an AA Meeting

Yes, I know you probably drunk yourself into oblivion on New Year’s, but you’re nowhere near a raging alcoholic. If you’re not sure which classes you’re required to complete, it might be time to set up an AA meeting: an Academic Advisor meeting.

For some of you, class registration started in October and may have ended for a spell before Christmas. If you’re like me, you might’ve had to wait on full-major status confirmation for your major (which I finally was accepted for), and you couldn’t register for specific classes until you received it.

If you know what courses you’re taking for this semester and they’re all signed up for, than you’re already ahead of the game. Anyone still waiting to register? Don’t worry. Your academic advisor can help you get your ass in a class before all of the seats are taken!

It’s never too late to set up an AA appointment, though it’s better to reserve a spot early in year, just in case some of the classes you had your eye on are filled up because of early registration. It’s not too late to get into some sort of equivalent class with a semi-likable professor (Ratemyprofessor, y’all. You know what’s up).

Check your university’s website about how to set up an AA meeting, so you can be on your way to a complete schedule, part-time or full-time.

2. Fill in Your Schedule

Now that your schedule is filled with classes, you may have some holes to fill. You only have 24 hours in a day, and classes can pretty much take up all of that time, so it’s important to see what extra space you have in the day to do some things you may need or want to do.

Most of your professors will tell you this at the beginning of the semester: “You should spend double the number of hours you spend in the classroom on studying outside of the classroom,” or something equally ridiculous. Every time I hear it, I think, “Where the hell am I gonna find the time to study that long for just one class?”

TBH, if I had taken that studying philosophy more seriously last semester, I wouldn’t have gotten a D in art. Don’t judge me.

Regardless of your busy class schedule, it is important to study when you have the time, and in order to make sure you don’t miss the opportunity to crack open that textbook, you should pencil it in to your daily routine.

Set a reminder on your phone or write in your planner the time you plan to review your notes or work on a project. It’s been proven that this tactic helps you retain the information you previously learned in class, so when it’s time to study for an exam you remember the answers better than if you had pulled an all-nighter the day before, cramming random Quizlet flashcards into your brain.

Though I’m sure you have a laundry list of things you need to do, you should always set aside time to do things you want to do.

There’s something about taking time for yourself in a hectic day that keeps you sane enough to ride the week all the way to the weekend. You may want to catch up on a few episodes of your favorite show (if you hadn’t taken the whole winter break to do so), rock your chakras with some yoga by the river or take a much-needed nap.

What if I don’t have anything to fill my free time with? I’m so glad you asked! If you think there’s nothing for you to do in-between classes or on a rare day off, then you should search for something you would like to get involved with at your college or in the community that might be productive, calm your nerves or just keep you busy (but not too busy.)

3. Seek New Opportunities

If you didn’t already know, there are a plethora of clubs and organizations to get involved with on campus, and by this time, you’ve probably already gotten acquainted with a few that piqued your interest. You may also have learned about the multiple positions on- and off-campus that you can apply for as a part- or full-time job.

If you just went to class and back to your dorm every day and don’t know anything about joining an org, then here’s your chance to get informed and filled in.

Earlier in the fall semester, campuses have a Student Involvement Day, which showcases all of the universities’ orgs and clubs and lets you sign up to join them. Because some students start college in the spring semester, most colleges will give students another opportunity to join orgs or start some of their own in late January or early February.

In case you’re looking for a job on or around campus, you could check your university’s website or scan the bulletin boards in your dorm or in the library. Nine times out of ten, there are positions open everywhere that are just waiting to be filled.

You can also use these resources to find a potential internship (like Study Breaks!). It’s never too early to get a hands-on experience in something related to your major.

With these few tips in mind, along with any plans you’ve decided to make to accomplish your resolutions, you can get your spring semester kicking into high gear!

Zephanie Battle, Texas State University