Talking with Sofia Zorian, the UCLA Student and Recording Artist

Fresh off her releasing her newest single, 'Feelings,' the English major is focused on graduation and her upcoming EP.

Not many musicians could claim they entered the music industry as bravely as Sofia Zorian has. In fact, not many musicians would boast about holding a degree in English, but for Zorian, the lyrics to her songs, intertwined with her personal experiences and heartwarming harmonies, are where she displays her true talent. As a Los Angeles native, Zorian lives within the heart of the entertainment industry and has a background of professional training deeply rooted within the arts.

A fourth year English major at the University of California, Los Angeles, Zorian is preparing to launch her first album, titled “Involved,” in January — several months shy of her college graduation. In November, she released a music video for her debut single, titled “Feeling,” and is prepared to pursue her music career at full speed following her graduation. I was able to talk to Zorian about her latest release, personal expectations and reflections on her career as a musician.

Terry Nguyen: Let’s talk about your music. It’s very exciting that you’re releasing your next album so soon, but if you could describe your music in three words or adjectives, what would they be and why?

Sofia Zorian: The three words I would use to describe my music are truth, heart and power. My music is truthful to my experiences, and I have found that it is true to listeners as well. I am naturally an introvert and find myself using music as an outlet for feelings that aren’t easily expressed verbally.

I put all of my heart into my lyrics and melody. It is without a doubt an intimate piece of me that I am sharing with the world through every song. I want to empower anyone who listens. I want them to feel that no matter the difficulties they may face, they must keep pushing and they will reach their happiness.

TN: I listened to your debut single, “Feeling,” recently. What were the sentiments that you hoped to express through this song specifically?

SZ: “Feeling” is a very special song for me because it was the very first song I officially released. It was such an amazing and proud moment to be able to share it with the world and even listen to it in my car. This song searches to the deepest reaches of my heart and calls for raw emotion. It is a wake up call to feel. To discover what truly matters in life and what is it you need to fight for.

Feeling is what shows us that we are alive. Life can hurt, but the light of it all is never far away. People may pass you by, and even if they meant everything to you one day, they may not be a part of your life the next day. You just have to be true and honest with yourself to know exactly what you want. What you need. That is #FEELING.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7tqDifxpFh4

TN: What can your fans and the music industry expect from your first album in January?

SZ: My EP release is definitely an exciting one, and I am really looking forward to finally being able to share some more music with everyone! It will include five original songs, and there will be a single release as well.

My next single, “You’ve Got This All Wrong,” will also be coming out very soon.

The EP will set a beautifully diverse tone that is cohesive throughout the EP, but will also vary in style. My producer, Adrian Jones, and I have been hard at work finalizing the sound and shaping it to a finished, extraordinary product.

TN: Where do you draw your musical and lyrical inspiration from? How have these inspirations influenced your music style?

SZ: I draw inspiration from Bon Iver, Adele, Ed Sheeran, Sara Bareilles, Amy Winehouse, Mumford & Sons, Sia, OneRepublic, Death Cab For Cutie, Keane, Coldplay and more. Music is a lifestyle for me. I listen to it in the car, when I work out, when I am feeling in a certain mood, when I’m with friends, and it is always present, even at an outing at a restaurant.

So, in that same way, I am always exposed to musical inspiration. These inspirations shape my music style by showing me what is out there, what I enjoy hearing and help me find my own unique voice and style. I have always loved the alternative/rock/band style of music, and combining that with my love for pop as well brings to life what I consider to be my particular style.

TN: So, what do you envision in your future career as a musician? What impact on the music industry do you hope to make?

SZ: I will always reach towards the stars when it comes to my aspirations as a musician. I want to have a global impact with my music, and for it to not only ignite powerful and ruling emotions in people, but to give them the positivity and hope that they need in that moment when they are listening. I hope to inspire others in reaching toward their dreams as well.

The music industry is not an easy one to break through, but it is the people who never stop pushing that ultimately reach where they wish to go. Taking the stage, singing and performing my heart and soul out is one of the aspects of this career that I love the most. It is a privilege and honor to be pursuing a career in music, but I can say wholeheartedly that I would not be able to live without it.

Terry Nguyen, University of Southern California

Journalism and Political Science