Culture x

Featuring overdue diversity and some unbelievable reboots, television this fall is going to astound viewers.

12 Television Shows You Can’t Miss This Fall

Fall TV season is just around the corner, and there are plenty of reasons to be excited. With action thrillers, complicated romances, time travel and several reboots, along with an increased amount of female leads and racial representation, there will be plenty to keep audiences entertained this year.

Here are the 12 must see TV shows for 2016-2017.

1. Still Star-Crossed

Fresh from Shondaland comes a new romantic drama for all the hopeless romantics out there. “Still Star- Crossed” is being adapted from Melinda Taub’s novel of the same name.

The series takes place after the deaths of Romeo and Juliet, but instead of the rival families making peace, they continue fight each other.

STILL STAR-CROSSED - ABC's "Still Star-Crossed" stars Wade Briggs as Benvolio, Lashana Lynch as Rosaline and Sterling Sulieman as Prince Escalus. (ABC/Ed Herrera)The prince of Verona decrees that Juliet’s cousin Rosaline and Romeo’s cousin Benvolio must marry to restore the peace. Fans of “Scandal” and “Grey’s Anatomy,” as well as Shakespeare enthusiasts, will definitely want to DVR this one.

Based on the trailer, the show is promising some epic battles, love triangles and heartbreaking betrayals. The show is extra exciting because it features an ethnically diverse cast, including Lashana Lynch, Wade Briggs, and Sterling Sulieman. The premiere date has yet to be announced.

2. Shots Fired

“Shots Fired” is a show inspired by the racially charged shootings that have taken place in the last few years. The show was created by Gina Prince-Bythewood, who, along with her huband Reggie Rock Bythewood, directed a few of my favorite movies, including “Beyond the Lights,” “Love & Basketball” and “The Secret Life of Bees.”

The 10-part dramatic series will examine the racial tension between police officers and undeserving victims. However, the show turns this concept completely upside down, because this time, the police officer is black and the victim is white.

Played by Sanaa Lathan and Stephan James, Ashe Bell and Treston Perry are sent to investigate the tragedy, and while trying to uncover the truth, the duo encounter unreliable testimonies and racial divides. “Shots Fired” is scheduled to come out in spring 2017.

3. Pitch

“Pitch” stars Kylie Bunbury as Ginny Baker, the first black woman chosen to play on a Major League Baseball team.

The show will delve into the difficulties that come with being in her position, such as sexism, tension with the team, bad publicity and, of course, her own self-doubt.

The show radiates themes of girl power and self-discovery, which are great concepts for all audiences. Fans of the MLB, I imagine, will especially enjoy the show. “Pitch” premieres September 22 on Fox.

4. Lethal Weapon

“Lethal Weapon” is making a comeback on cable TV, but instead of Mel Gibson and Danny Glover, it will star Clayne Crawford as Martin Riggs and Damon Wayans as Roger Murtaugh. Keesha Sharp, Jordana Brewster and Kevin Rahm are also starring in the reboot.

The trailer gives audiences a peek into Rigg’s heartbreaking past, while also establishing the duo’s relationship. As Murtaugh is more by the book and Riggs is more of a loose cannon, the show promises comical tension as well as crime-fighting drama. Fans of the movie franchise should tune into Fox on September 21.

5. Prison Break

Since first discovering and binge watching “Prison Break” on Netflix just two years ago, it has become one of my favorite shows. I personally am very excited for the next installment in the series. The new season will begin with Lincoln and Sarah discovering that Michael is alive and trapped in a prison in the Middle East.

The series will follow Michael’s brother and wife as they try to help him escape, but die-hard fans know that Michael probably already has a plan up his sleeve.

Michael will also be sporting a fresh set of tats to help him navigate the new prison, alluding to an important aspect of the first season.

Several of the original cast members are coming back including Rockmond Dunbar, Sarah Wayne Callies, Amaury Nolasco and Dominic Purcell. “Prison Break” will premiere on Fox in 2017.

6. 24: Legacy

The extremely successful series that spawned 9 seasons and a made-for-TV movie returns with “24: Legacy.” The show will have a two-night premiere event on Fox beginning February 5.

The new series stars Corey Hawkins as Eric Carter, a former Army Ranger who is put on a terrorist group’s hit list after killing their leader. His wife and his team’s families are forced into hiding, while his team fights to prevent an even bigger attack that the terrorists are planning on American soil. The show also stars Miranda Otto, Jimmy Smits and Teddy Sears.

“24: Legacy” was created and produced by Manny Coto and Evan Katz, who served as executive producers of the original series. Although Kiefer Sutherland will sadly not be returning as Jack Bauer, he will be working alongside the cast as an executive producer, so the show is in good hands. Fans of the original “24” will definitely not want to miss it.

7. Time After Time

Time travel is a huge theme in the 2016-2017 show line-up, one of which is ABC’s “Time After Time.” The show is based on the novel by Karl Alexander and the 1979 movie of the same name.

The story follows science fiction writer H.G. Wells, portrayed by “Unreal” alum Freddie Stroma, who travels to modern day New York to catch Jack the Ripper, who is portrayed by former “Revenge” star Josh Bowman.

The gritty cat and mouse thriller was created by Kevin Williamson, the mind behind “The Following,” who will also serve as executive producer alongside “Blindspot” executive producer Marcos Siega. Fans of those shows will most likely enjoy this as well. “Time After Time” will premiere on ABC sometime in 2017.

8. Timeless

From Eric Kripke, the creator of “Supernatural” and “Revolution,” comes the time travel adventure Timeless. The show focuses on a scientist, a soldier and a history professor as they travel back to the 1930s to stop a criminal who intends to alter the time line and destroy America’s future.

Although the stakes are high for the trio, they still manage to deliver some comedy amidst the chaos.

My favorite line from the trailer was from Malcolm Barrett’s character. “I am black,” he says, “there is literally no place in American history that will be awesome for me.” In addition to Barrett, the show stars Goran Visnjic, Abigail Spencer and Matt Lanter. It will premiere on October 3 on NBC.

9. Frequency

The trailer for the show alone is enough to get audiences blood pumping. “Frequency” is based on the 2000 movie of the same name and centers around Raimy Sullivan, a detective who’s still emotionally scarred after her father’s murder that occurred twenty years prior.

peyton-list-frequency-cwDuring a thunderstorm, Raimy’s father’s old radio comes to life and she is shocked to hear her father speaking from the other end. Raimy ends up preventing her father’s death, which creates several consequences down the line. Fans of time travel movies such as “Back to the Future” are sure to enjoy this modern day reboot. “Frequency” stars Peyton List, Riley Smith, Devin Kelley and Anthony Ruivivar and will premiere on the CW on October 5.

10. Notorious

“Notorious” seems like the love child of “Scandal” and “The Newsroom.” The show stars former “Covert Affairs” protagonist Piper Perabo as TV producer Julia George, and “Graceland” alum Daniel Sunjata as criminal defense attorney Jake Gregorian.

“Notorious” follows the duo as they work together to control which issues reach the public and which get swept under the rug. “Notorious” is based on real life situations involving criminal defense attorney Mark Geragos and cable news producer Wendy Walker, who will be working closely on the show as executive producers. Notorious premieres September 22 on ABC.

11. Conviction

“Conviction” stars Hayley Atwell aka Peggy Carter from “Captain America: The First Avenger” and ABC’s “Agent Carter.” Atwell’s character, Hayes Morrison, is a lawyer and the former first daughter. After getting busted for cocaine possession, she is blackmailed by a NY district attorney to come work with him and his team at the Conviction Integrity Unit.

Morrison reluctantly tackles tough cases using her sharp mind and loose morals, all in the midst of her mother’s senate campaign. The show also stars Eddie Cahill, Shawn Ashmore, Merrin Dungey, Emily Kinney and Manny Montana, and will premiere on October 3on ABC.

12. Designated Survivor

Although Kiefer Sutherland will not be returning for the next installment of “24,” he will still be playing a badass; this time though, his mission will be running the White House.

Sutherland’s character, Tom Kirkman, is a cabinet member who suddenly becomes the President of the United States after an attack during the State of the Union makes him the highest ranking government official and the designated successor.

The show will follow Kirkman as he struggles adjusting to his new life as President, while simultaneously trying to keep America safe during a tumultuous time. It seems like the show will be “24” meets “The West Wing,” so fans of those shows will probably enjoy this political thriller. “Designated Survivor” premieres September 21 on ABC.