Nocturnal Run 2015

Nocturnal Lands

Nocturnal Lands Nocturnal Lands Previously known as the Nocturnal Lands 5k, Night Nation run is back again. Study Breaks had the pleasure of attending last years event and we are stoked to be invited back this year. The Night Nation Run is the worlds first Running Music Festival. It’s pretty hard not to have a […]

0 comments
III Bones

III Bones

III BonesReader Rating 5 Votes71% (pronounced Three Bones) is an unsigned quartet from Austin that has been making music together since 2013. Majoring in psychedelic rock with a minor in R&B soul, the group blends together the two to create a unique sort of lo-fi soul, reminiscent of The Velvet Underground mixed in a blender […]

0 comments
Randy Rogers & Wade Bowen

Ones to Watch: Randy Rogers & Wade Bowen

Ones to Watch: Randy Rogers & Wade BowenReader Rating 1 Vote84%ONES TO WATCH: RANDY ROGERS & WADE BOWEN In honor of the April release of their duet album, Hold My Beer, Vol. 1, the two country crooners shared a few fun facts with us here… 1. GOOD SPORTS Randy is a huge sports fan (Go Cowboys!) […]

0 comments
Tone Royal

Tone Royal

Tone RoyalRapVisibilityReader Rating 3 Votes81%TONE ROYAL The student, rapper and winner of Austin’s Rap for a Stack competition—whose influences include Eminem, Childish Gambino and Earl Sweatshirt—fills us in with some facts… 1. THE WRITE STUFF I’m a journalism major. 2. THAT’S A RAP The first time I rapped was on a school bus when I […]

1 comment
BBHMM video causes internet controversy

Rihanna’s Shocking “BBHMM” Video is Very Successful Torture Porn

BBHMM Video is “Saw” Featuring Rihanna By: Vanessa Delgado Rihanna’s recently released music video to her infectious song “Bitch Better Have My Money” has stirred up a wave of controversy. Following its drop on VEVO, a frenzy of offended viewers began excoriating its content, but With a title like “Bitch Better Have My Money,” you […]

0 comments
dro (1)

D.R.O. Releases Debut Album

D.R.O. First Album Dabbles in Unorthodox Genres Austin Hip-Hop Artist on Making His Own Sound By: Mark Stenberg   Austin hip-hop artist D.R.O. released his long-awaited album Monday to positive reviews. The ten-song work reflects nearly two years of fine-tuning and its calibration is evident: the cohesion of the record suggests a meticulous attention to detail. […]

0 comments
article

Death Grips is Alive and Well, Thank You Very Much

Death Grips’ Insane Austin Show Just Proved They’re Anything But Broken Up By Rachel Rascoe My best friend and I won sold-out tickets to a Death Grips show through a Transmission Events Instagram contest, an experience we described as “the best day of our lives” on social media. I looked at the tickets as an emotional buffer: by […]

0 comments
Music Streaming Services

Why Are We OK With Music Streaming Again?

Music Streaming and the Economics of Art Guest post by Max Alspach   Today’s music culture is vastly different than the one our parents grew up in. It’s even vastly different than the one we grew up in. In the last decade we’ve moved from physical to digital music, purchasing to stealing, and from owning […]

0 comments
Sip Sip Band Photo

The Band So Nice They Named It Sip Sip

Sip Sip is Study Breaks’ August Band of the Month 19 Kids and Counting With Instruments   From the August Issue Vanessa Delgado Forged in the summer of 2009 from fragments of Mother Falcon and Corduroi, Sip Sip is a 17-member collective with a dirty, brassy sound. Originally just a creative release, the ragtag group has since evolved into a […]

0 comments