in an article about writing a thesis statement, a person writing in a notebook at their desk

How To Make a Good Thesis Statement

It can make or break your essay.

Many students struggle to write a good thesis statement because they can’t explain the point of their research in a few sentences. That’s why they need help with thesis or simply a few practical tips on how to make it better.

There are several steps that you can follow to make sure that it remains strong and effective. Of course, you can always choose to buy custom thesis papers, but this article also wants to share the most valuable strategies on how to write a statement on your own.

Let’s take a look!

What is a thesis statement?

A thesis statement is a sentence or two that states the main point of your essay. It is not the same as the topic of your essay, which is what you will be writing about. The thesis statement sums up what you want to say in your essay. A typical thesis statement includes a point or argument that you intend to dispute or prove in your paper.

It needs to be specific and focused. You should also make a clear and arguable assertion. The thesis statement should be located at the end of your paper’s introductory paragraph, and it should list the points that you will discuss in your essay.

Tips to write a good thesis statement

After seeing the definition of the thesis statement, it is time to learn how to write it. Keep in mind that a good thesis statement will make it easier for you to write a good paper. If you want your research to be successful, use the following tips:

1. Less is more when you write a thesis statement

Less is more when it comes to writing a thesis statement. It’s a golden rule that you should always remember. This means that you should avoid including unnecessary details in your thesis statement. It also means that you should keep your argument clear and concise.

Your thesis statement should make a solid claim that you will argue in your paper. It should be specific and focused, so you can be able to support it with evidence.

The point of this little piece of content is not to be too long — but it has to reveal everything you’d like to achieve in your essay. That’s why a good thesis statement is usually one or two sentences long.

2. State your point of view clearly and accurately

When writing a thesis statement, it is important to state your point of view. This will help to make your argument stronger and more convincing. You don’t even have to agree with a given point of view, but the purpose of the essay is to be able to defend your claims.

Besides that, many students bury their thesis statement in the middle of their paragraph and never mention it again. This is a mistake because it makes it difficult for the reader to follow your argument. Make sure that your thesis statement is at the beginning or at the end of the paragraph.

3. Avoid vague statements

One of the most common mistakes that students make when writing a thesis statement is to use vague statements. This makes it difficult for the reader to understand what you are trying to say.

If your thesis statement is not clear, it will be difficult for you to write a good paper and defend your point of view. Be sure to avoid using ambiguous words or phrases in your thesis statement – it will save you from confusion and unpleasant questions.

4. Do not state the obvious

Your thesis statement should not state the obvious. A good thesis statement should be arguable and it should be able to provoke a discussion. If your thesis statement states the obvious, then there is no need to write an essay in the first place.

Conclusion

Writing a thesis statement may seem very tough at first, but if you apply yourself, you are sure to figure it out quickly. The most important thing to remember is to keep it minimalistic — long and vague thesis statements will only make readers confused. Apart from that, make sure to prepare well to defend your arguments. Good luck and have fun writing!