Young Professionals Breaking IT Rules

Posted by admin on Thursday, December 15, 2011

From Facebooking on the job to Tweeting on the clock, Gen Y is more likely to ignore technology policies, Cisco Security finds. 

Photo courtesy of collegian.com, by way of Google images

Well, the Connected World Technology report, conducted by Cisco Security,  is out and I'm sure you've all been sitting on the edge of your seats for the results--

Apparently young professionals like us...well...we've been Facebooking on the job.

Gasp! 'Tis true my friends. The survey, based on the responses of more than 2,800 college students and young professionals in 14 countries, found that young professionals (like us and our soon-to-be selves) have little or no regard for their employer's IT policies. That means that despite...

Oh sorry, I had to break and check my Facebook. Totally had four notifications. Ballin'.

Anyways, as I was saying, that means that despite company rules and policies, our generation (well 70%, according to the report) is still Tweeting their LOL moments and making status updates about their lunch or like..psalms and shit...on the job--often against the rules. And they aren't worried about it.

Although 22% of those surveyed admitted they broke the rules because they needed the forbidden applications to get their work done, I can commiserate more with the honest, tell-it-like-it-is 14% who say do it when their bosses aren't looking. (Sorry, Steve.)

Anyways, it was less the whole IT rebellion that was disturbing (or surprising) to me and more the statistic that came out a few months ago in a previous report, finding that nearly half of college students prefer Internet to friends and dating and that our generation values mobile devices more than higher salaries. 

I'm sorry--what?!

So you'd rather spend time stalking your Facebook friends than...uhh...hanging out with--or actually having--real friends?!

You'd rather Tweet than...I don't know...bang?!

And newsflash people--WITH A HIGHER SALARY YOU COULD BUY A BETTER PHONE.

I'm at a whole 'nother level of concerned right now. I already knew we were a pretty ignorant and superficial generation and granted, I have spent time texting friends while hanging out with other friends (super annoying, I know), but I didn't know we were that obsessed.Yes, I can sense the concern of bosses and CEO's whose employees are busy sharing sweet Parkour videos on the clock, but Cisco's other studies are the ones that are really freaking me out.

Hmm...social media making us anti-social. Who woulda thought?