What's up with Egypt?

Posted by admin on Monday, February 28, 2011

Better yet, why do I feel like I don't know anything about politics? As Americans, we know that America has a duty to the world to "spread democracy". Yet, we've been funding  a dictator $1.5  billion a year. This doesn't sound too democratic. Now I've heard various explanations on how this came to be, the most prevalent being so that we may help our position remain secure in the middle east.

I just can't help but wonder about all of our motives over there. In the movie Avatar, Jake says, "This is how it's done. When people are sittin' on s*#^ that you want, you make 'em your enemy. Then you're justified in taking it." Why exactly have we been going behind America's back and denouncing what we stand for? Could one of these reasons be oil? Funding a dictator, for oil?  That isn't right.

When I heard about this issue, I had a very uncomfortable feeling, but I think the worst part about it is I never even knew any of this was happening. In the risk of assuming I'm not just talking about myself here, I have a huge problem about not knowing what's going on in my own country. Really, why are us young adults so uninformed? How are we to know right and wrong when we don't even know what's going on? I mean no doubt, there are ways to become informed, but in the day in age it's difficult to differentiate when we are being misinformed.

We need a way to get the scoop, the real scoop. If only there was a tool, a sort of political Sesame Street that just lays it all out for us; This is what's going on, this is why is sucks, this why we don't know what to do about it. The other options seem to be boring programming or watching Stephen Colbert making fun of people. I admit those shows are entertaining and we can still learn from them, but it's still not enough. I mean, we're going to rule the world in the next couple decades, we need to know we're not going to leave it as a dump for our kids after us right?