Trayvon Martin and the University of Texas

Posted by admin on Thursday, March 29, 2012

Turmoil is brewing on the campus of The University of Texas that is quite reflective of the national anger felt over the Trayvon Martin shooting in Florida.

In case you've been in a bubble for the past month, Trayvon Martin, a 17 year-old, unarmed student in Florida was shot in a gated community in February by a neighborhood watch person. Because of the "Stand Your Ground" law in Florida, the killer has not been arrested as of March 29 (today). The shooter, George Zimmerman, has since stated that he acted in self defense though Martin had on his person solely a pack of Skittles and a bottle of iced tea. People across the nation have called for Zimmerman's arrest, holding "Hoodie Marches" in support of justice for Trayvon. (In a widely circulated photo of Trayvon he wears a hoodie.)

newsone.com

That's just a summary of the case.

Austin, Texas has had its own dramatic turns of events. On March 27, the day of one such "Hoodie March" in front of the Texas State Capitol, the Daily Texan ran a cartoon that offended such a large amount of people that a separate protest gathered on the plaza in front of the newspaper's offices. The cartoon featured a mother reading aloud to her child "And then… the big bad white man killed the handsome, sweet, innocent, colored boy". The mother sits on a chair labeled "Media" and reads from a book called "Treyvon [sic] Martin and the Case of Yellow Journalism". Those upset over the cartoon cite the term "colored" and the misspelling of the dead teenager's name as the highly offensive aspects of the drawing. In addition, many were shocked that the cartoon was sent through a system of approval and still printed.

Just one of the Hoodie Marches around the country. From washingtonpost.com

Today a public apology was issued for the cartoon. The apology states that the cartoonist, formerly a Daily Texan staff member, was fired and that the newspaper will work to be aware of racial tension through open forums and seminars.

Many people still don't want an apology. They just want justice for Trayvon.

See how race is a factor for some fans of the Hunger Games: Racist Hunger Games Fans Disappointed.