Top 5 Deadly Alcoholic Drinks

Posted by admin on Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Drinking your calories away, in a single night?  Not the smartest decision you could possibly make, if you ask me. Alcohol can really put a stomp on your weight loss goals (if you’re trying to achieve any). Alcohol contains empty calories, preventing you from filling full and satisfied, which usually leads to drinking more (and ending completely wasted stranded at a random street corner). So if you went out the night before and consumed a few of these drinks, not only did you probably wake up with a hangover, but also fatter! I did some research and came across the top 5 most deadly drinks you could possibly consume, and if one of these made your list, well you have been warned.

1. Mai Tai – Sounds fancy, huh? But this little bad mama knocks out every other drink off the list. Special ingredients:  3 oz. Light Rum, 2 oz. Dark Rum, 1 oz. Crème de Almond, 1 oz. Triple Sec, plus sweet & sour mix and pineapple juice. Totaling up to 620 calories for a 9 oz. Mai Tai, say whaaaatt??? Pass over the 20-piece chicken nuggets cause a 9 oz. won’t even get you feeling a buzz.

2. The Long Island Iced Tea – We have all ordered this “trashy†drink at the bar hoping for a quick buzz, but see what goes into this drink and maybe you’ll think twice before you decide to down this hard liquor drink. Special ingredients: 1.5 oz Vodka, 1.5 oz Rum, 1.5 oz Tequila, 1.5 oz Gin, 1.5 oz Triple Sec, and the rest is pure sweet and sour mix with a splash of coke. Some LIIT can end up adding to 540 calories for a 10 oz. that’s 25% of your daily calorie intake already consumed. Might as well hit the burger stand and have an order of deep fried onion rings while you’re at it.

3. Piña Colada – Ummm sounds delish! Especially in this 100 degree weather, but is it worth sipping on this tropical fruity drink? Take a look at its ingredients for a 12 oz: 3 oz. Rum, 3 oz. Coconut Cream, and 6 oz. Pineapple Juice.  Totaling your drink to a surprisingly 586 calories. A tablespoon of coconut cream alone has 50 calories and 47 calories from fat! The drink calls for 6 oz of it! And if you’re having this drink at your favorite chain restaurant, than you probably consumed more than your daily calorie intake in one sitting.

4. Margaritas – It’s happy hour time, which means ½ priced margaritas for everyone! This is probably the deadliest time to go out and drink. You get more alcohol for your bucks, but you also get more calories for your belly. This drinks special ingredients include: 4 oz. Tequila, 4 oz. Margarita sour mix, 2 oz. Triple Sec, lime juice and sugar. Order two 10oz. of these bad girls during happy hour  and you’re looking at around 1,100 calories, not including the free chips and salsa.

5. White Russian – Sounds exotic… and dangerous. This sweet cocktail contains: 2 oz vodka, 1.5 oz coffee liqueur and 1.5 of heavy cream. Well, I wouldn’t sip on this drink unless I was in Russia where I would need the extra 425 calories to keep me warm!

Don’t feel condemned to have to give up your favorite cocktail drinks, but make smarter decisions and stay away from alcoholic drinks that are high in fat (like drinks made with cream and syrup mixes). Alcohol consumption can slow down your metabolism and increase the amount of fat stored in your body, leading to weight gain. By keeping track of how many drinks you consume will not only make you a smarter drinker, but also a healthier and less drunken one, too.