Posted by admin on Friday, April 6, 2012

It's a sad day in Panem for Hunger Games lovers. We've read the trilogy. We've laughed, we've cried and we've lusted after Peeta the baker and his baker buns. And we've of course seen the first installment of what is (was?!) sure to be a classic movie empire.

Just because. goodreads.com

Unfortunately for us, Katniss' rebellion is perhaps working a little too well (if you don't know, you don't need to) and the Hunger Games cinematic sequel, Catching Fire, may be in danger of at least a delay.

We're upset too, Katniss. goodreads.com

Director-screenwriter (technically adapter, but whatever) Gary Ross is asking for a bigger slice of the pie, understandably. Of the $363 million the hit has racked up thus far, poor Gary has only received $3 million plus five percent of whatever profits the movie has surely attained. This stand-off is horribly timed as it comes amidst an awkward departure of fundamental Lionsgate executives followed by a replacement of big-wigs from Summit who Lionsgate purchased for $412 million in January of this year. Although it's not clear whether the Lionsgate execs were fired or left of their own volition, someone should let them know that it's usually not the buyers that get replaced?

More importantly, you may recognize the name Summit from another popular novel-to-big-screen adaptation. Does Twilight sound familiar? Yes. The studio that gave us the beautifully executed Hunger Games is now being ravaged  and ransacked by the greedy pillagers at Summit.

salon.com

I am obviously more than a little upset about this. Will Catching Fire, set for a November 22, 2013 release, be as poorly done as the most recent Twilight installment (think talking, very clearly animated wolves)? I'm seriously hoping not.

Check out out other Hunger Games related blog posts:

"The Hunger Games" Movie Review

RACIST HUNGER GAMES FANS DISAPPOINTED