SXSW Rumors 2011: Kanye in Austin?

Posted by admin on Monday, February 28, 2011

Feb 28, 2011 @ 16:18

South by Southwest is notorious for their surprise tactics.  Each year the festival brings mega celebrities to its streets, sometimes announced, but often completely out of the blue. Thus, there is an annual rumor mill that centers around SXSW's bigger secrets, and I declare 2011's officially open with the release of this:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HhZZ5n5XRIk[/youtube]

The video, which leaked on Twitter this afternoon via festival bible, @SXSWPartyList, could be the ultimate internet troll, or it could be the ominous and epic cattle call for all fans of Kanye "Yeezy" West.

The details are sparse, but this is what we know for sure:

1. There is an event sponsored by VEVO at midnight on March 19. (maybe at the Seaholm Power Plant? The title is power station)

2. VEVO is a known host of Kanye's videos

3. The piano part at the end of the video is an exact musical match to "Runaway" from Kanye's latest album My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy

So, should we brace for a Yeezy invasion in Austin? Is it socially acceptable for him to call himself Yeezy? WHERE DO WE RSVP?!

Play the video backwards to listen for hidden messages. In the mean time, I will be watching it synced up with various classic movies to see if it reveals any insight. Most importantly, keep your eyes and ears open. Let the rumors fly!