RACIST HUNGER GAMES FANS DISAPPOINTED

Posted by admin on Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Let's preface this post, shall we, by stating a sad reality--

People...are IDIOTS.

(It's going to be one of those rants.)

--

I haven't read the The Hunger Games (yet) and I haven't seen the movie (again--yet), but I've been out of my cave enough to know that shit's pretty popular.

$155-million-opening-weekend popular.

And that's the third best opening weekend in North American history. BOOM. Following the movie's release (and the millions of resulting Facebook statuses like "OMG HUNGER GAMES AHFIWHINOIYG09WHG"), the responses and reactions I've heard regarding the movie were pretty good. Good as in it adhered to the book pretty well, was entertaining, and had a lot of killings--all amounting to a great success, naturally.

But some people (SEE PREVIOUSLY MENTIONED IDIOTS) weren't too pleased with the movie's depiction. And why? Because when watching the movie, they realized that one of the characters, Rue, is black.

The responses to this "surprise" (we'll get back to why that's in quotes in a second) were horrendously disturbing and did a more thorough job than anything I've seen recently in casting light on the frighteningly high amount of ignorant assholes in the world.
Now, I understand that you read a book and picture characters a certain way. Personally, I was super pissed when I saw the movie and realized that Harry Potter, that four-eyed square, had glasses.

Oh, that was pretty blatantly stated in the book, you say? Fancy that.

But did I tweet about boycotting the rest of the movies unless Harry, that visually challenged sonofabitch, got contacts?! Of course not, because that would be STUPID.

(Disclaimer: This is just a satiric example and completely untrue. I have the vision of a 97-year-old...with cataracts. I ain't hatin'. I'm also not comparing it to the disgusting racism witnessed in the Hunger Games reactions. Jussssssssst an illustration of idiocy at its finest.) 

And you seeeee, my friends, The Hunger Games fans with any sense of literary comprehension shouldn't even have been surprised that Rue was African American. According to jezebel.com, this is the description of the character when, on page 45 of Suzanne Collins's book, Katniss sees Rue for the first time:

"…And most hauntingly, a twelve-year-old girl from District 11. She has dark brown skin and eyes, but other than that's she's very like Prim in size and demeanor…"

i.e., again, people should NOT have been surprised. And they DEFINITELY shouldn't have been DISAPPOINTED. But, again, people sometimes shock you.

The Tumblr Hunger Games Tweets made it their mission to compile tweets from people who, upon seeing the movie and realizing that Rue (and, by proxy, the character portraying her) is black, released a barrage of idiotic, douchebaggish and blatantly hateful comments like the following:

(Note: Prepare to be disturbed. And really pissed off)

Yeah, idiots.

And pretty scary shit.

READ OUR NON-RACIST, NON-IDIOTIC REVIEW: "The Hunger Games" Movie Review