Pepsi Tries to Recreate the Pepsi Generation. . . Again

Posted by admin on Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Watch this!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aU0R-avw17o[/youtube]

What?! Am I the only one who doesn't get this??? Maybe. For the full story we will just have to follow @Pepsi and #1DB on Twitter and see what this is about.  In the video, boy band, One Direction, and New Orleans Saints quarterback, Drew Brees, are coming together.  1D + DB = 1DB.

Drew Breen and One Direction joining forces in Pepsi's new marketing campaign, #1DB.

Sounds like what they are trying to reinvent their 1963 and 1984 Pepsi Generation marketing campaigns so they can appeal to youth now.  I mean this is probably not gonna appeal to my mom.  She is already a loyal customer, mostly because she is addicted to caffeine, or maybe because she is part of the first Pepsi generation, who knows? Also I'm pretty sure she doesn't know who One Direction is.  Sofia Vergara is probably more suited for her demographic.

Sofia Vergara sippin' on some Pepsi in an ad.

In any case, back in the day they used Michael Jackson to get teens to buy their product.  Since One Direction and, apparently, Drew Bress are considered all the rage now, this is who they are rolling with with to get sales of their drink up.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=po0jY4WvCIc[/youtube]

The King of Pop was a part of a Pepsi 1984 marketing campaign to appeal to "A Whole New Generation."

Also, as we all know Pepsi has always been in fierce competition with Coca-Cola.  According to foxnews.com, Pepsi has drastically increased their media spending in the U.S. in the past year.  Well, let's hope this works out for Pepsi, or at least for One Direction and Drew Brees. #1DB?  I hope they are going somewhere with this.