Oh the Never Ending Battle With Makeup

ShareThis Link:
Posted by admin on Thursday, October 6, 2011

Unfortunately, as we all know, we tend to judge people by their appearance. I know it’s an awful truth and I’m guilty of having done so, too. As a girl, I can say that often times we can be more criticized and pressured to have to look a certain way.

According to a recent study that was funded by company giant, Procter and Gamble, makeup makes a woman seem more attractive, trustworthy, and competent. Participants were only given milliseconds to look at the pictures of women in various degrees of makeup and rate them. Not surprisingly, the ratings increased as the makeup increased.

But, before you go bury your face with globs of makeup, there is a limit before it turns around and makes you seem untrustworthy (so please leave the whore makeup at home. Unless that’s the look you are going for.) When participants were shown the pictures for a longer time they still found the women in the most makeup to be more attractive and likeable than those without, but less trustworthy. “Too much makeup can appear as a shield, something you’re trying to either hide behind, or use to change who you are,†TODAY style editor Bobbie Thomas said.

Ok so honestly, besides reinforcing the horrible reality that looks play an important role in our society (which we already knew), I feel like this study was a complete waste of time. Do we honestly want to be reminded?

I think makeup should be fun, and sure, it can give you more confidence and make you feel prettier, but we shouldn’t feel like we have to hide behind it. I know it’s easier said than done because we all have our “ugly days†but we’re human, so let’s not be so hard on ourselves.

Thoughts? Tweet me @paola_07