Maybe I'm bananas!

ShareThis Link:
Posted by admin on Friday, June 17, 2011

I’ve been working a lot lately, so I haven’t had much time to experiment with recipes; but today Brittany just got her groove back!

The idea for this sweet treat came out of necessity. My stepdad bought some green bananas the other day so that they could ripen over the next few days and be ready to eat. Only it’s been half a week and these bananas are just as green as the day he bought them. I didn’t want to trash them before trying to make something out of them first.

I decided to treat them like plantains and fry them up bananas foster style with butter, brown sugar and cinnamon. I hit a little speed bump when the skin wasn’t coming off so easily from the bananas. This meant I had to cut the fruit in half and slice into the skin with a knife so that I could rip it off. By the feel of the fruit, I didn’t think merely cooking them in butter sugar would suddenly make these bananas edible on their own; so after looking around my pantry, I snagged a box of corn muffin mix and began executing my idea for a sweet twist on corn bread.

After fighting with the banana peel for a good five minutes, I finally managed to get it off. I then cut the banana into bite-sized pieces while I pre-heated a small skillet with a couple tablespoons of butter. After the butter had melted, I added an equal amount of brown sugar and a sprinkling of cinnamon for a tasty punch. I then slid the bananas right into the bubbly caramelizing sugar and let it cook until the bananas had a little give to them, which took about 10 minutes for the banana because it was so hard to begin with.

As the bananas were cooking, I prepped the corn muffin mixture according to the box directions. With the fruit softened and full of flavor, I added it to the corn muffin mixture and gave a good mix to combine it all together. After ladling the sweet muffin mix into a paper-lined muffin tin, off to the oven they went for 15 minutes at 400 degrees Fahrenheit.

I let the muffins cool for about 5-10 minutes before I couldn’t resist the sweet cinnamon and sugar aroma any longer; so I unwrapped my sweet treats and sank my teeth right in.

Maybe I’m biased because I am infatuated with corn bread, but I thought the corn muffin with the caramelized bananas wasn’t too bad. In fact, it was pretty darn good! I actually got bits of banana pieces, which weren’t completely softened to mush, but rather they still had some bite to them, adding a nice texture to the muffin. And as green as the banana was, cooking it released all of its bitter taste; and with the brown sugar and cinnamon, what was left was a simple sweet surprise.

Not everyone will love this corn muffin - like my parents. They were looking for more of that mushy banana texture that also gives that sweet banana-y flavor; so if you've got really ripe bananas you can make this corn muffin, too!

I wouldn’t suggest going out and purposely buying green bananas, but if you happen to have some on hand, I’d definitely give this recipe a try!

Comments

Male erectile dysfunction can be a result of various contributive factors, which include mental issues, well-being issues and damage to the penis. Mental issues that a patient may go through can have a harmful result on their power to create and keep a healthy erection. These issues can be the result of a variety of factors, which include high stress levels, a sexual partner that is not encouraging, depression and low self-esteem. <a href=http://increasespermcountreviews.com>how much does hcg increase your sperm count</a>