Is COLLEGE FOOTBALL making students...DUMBER?

Posted by admin on Friday, December 30, 2011

Rumor has it.

And by rumor, I mean a study produced by three University of Oregon economists that was recently released.

A good football season may mean...quackademic probation...for some students

The study examined the GPA's of nearly 30,000 non-athlete Oregon students from 1999-2007 , a period of time in which Ducks football had a winning  percentage that ranged from 45-92% (with an average of  68%). It found that over this period, there was a definite relationship between lower grades and wins during the season. (And the pattern of lower grades was only seen in the fall quarters, further strengthening the possibility of a cause-and-effect scenario.)

Now keep in mind these are non-athlete students--i.e. they aren't failing physics because they're focused on formations; they're not too busy studying the competition to study their calculus. The difference, the study found, was likely derived from post-win partying. Both male and female undergraduates surveyed (who had attended Oregon for 2+ years) said that they were more likely to party, skip class and drink after a victory than after a defeat, with 24% of males and 9% of females saying that the amount of time they spent studying varied depending on their team's record. Makes sense, I'd say.

"HELL YEAH! WE WON! LET'S GET WASTED!" is applicable when your team is good.

"Screw it dude--this blows. I might as well work on my thesis. Not like this Saturday could get any shittier." is likely (or, ya know, as likely as a college kid doing homework on a weekend can be) when your team sucks.

So before you bitch about your GPA, check your team's record. And if you get that good report card money from Grandma, consider making a donation to your athletic department.

Or maybe you should just save the money for booze. You never know how next season's gonna go.

Comments

ED can be a effect of several contributing factors, which include psychological issues, wellness issues and damage to the penis. Psychological issues that a patient may get can have a unfavorable effect on their power to create and keep a healthy erection. These issues can be the result of a assortment of external factors, such as high stress levels, a sexual partner that is not supportive, depression and no self esteem. <a href=http://increasespermcountreviews.com>exercise to increase sperm count</a>