Posted by admin on Friday, May 27, 2011

When the sun is scorching and the library is deserted, that can only mean one thing: it’s summer time! Without finals, tests and papers to bog you down, you have a little extra free time to whip up some real food instead of the salty bags of prepared snacks that leave you with nothing but a tummy ache and indigestion. So put down that chip bag and pick up a mixing bowl, because I’ve got a munchy that is simple to make and will satisfy your midnight sweet tooth cravings after you’ve been out all night and need some refueling.

The small Jiffy box makes 7 muffins, so choose who you want to share them with wisely.

The Muffin:

• 1 box of Jiffy Banana Bread mix
  • 1/3 cup of milk
  • 1 egg
  • 1 teaspoon of cinnamon

The Filling:

• 2 oz. of 1/3 less fat cream cheese
  • 2 oz. of peanut butter (creamy or crunchy)
  • 1 teaspoon of cinnamon sugar

The Topping:

• 3 tablespoons of peanut butter (creamy or crunchy)
  • 1 teaspoon of cinnamon sugar

What to do:

Preheat your oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. For the muffin batter, whisk all of your ingredients together until combined. You will have a few lumps still. In a heat-safe bowl, melt you cream cheese and peanut butter together in the microwave for about 30 seconds. Stir in your cinnamon sugar until combined. In sprayed and lined muffin cups, put in 2 spoonfuls of muffin batter, then 1 teaspoon of your cream cheese and peanut butter mixture, and then top it off with one more spoonful of batter. Do this with the rest of your muffin mix. Bake your muffins for 13 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. While your muffins cool, melt your peanut butter in the microwave for about 30 seconds, and then stir in your cinnamon sugar until combined. Spoon your melted peanut butter over each muffin. And last, the most important step: DEVOUR!

The peanut butter inside and out of this muffin makes for an indulgent, yet healthy treat.

With the help of a boxed mix, these muffins are a cinch to make; so while you’re preparing them you can be preparing yourself for a night out on the town. And when you come home starving, you’ll have a healthier and cheaper go-to than the local fast food restaurant that is loaded with grease and guilt.