How to Cure a Hangover

Posted by admin on Wednesday, April 4, 2012

The worst part about partying hard the night before is waking up with a pounding headache and having to fight the urge to vomit. Although this may be inevitable, there are some tricks most habitual drinkers (or college kids) know that can be used to avoid your all day catatonic state.

These include drinking lots of water before, during and after drinking to stay hydrated, being sure to snack before or after drinking and making sure to sleep in the morning after. When you forget to do these things or if your hangover somehow manages to overpower you, here are some tricks to try after your next night of debauchery:

1) Eat Eggs or Bananas 

Eggs - Because eggs contain cysteine, which breaks down acetaldehyde in the body, eating eggs the morning after a drinking binge could help remove the hangover-causing alcohol metobolite toxin from the body.

Bananas - Alcohol, like any diuretic, depletes the body of potassium. Eating bananas, or other fruit high in potassium, while having hangover symptoms can replenish the potassium and lost electrolytes. Sports drinks typically are good sources of potassium.

2) Take painkillers

Painkillers - Aspirin and ibuprofen (Advil or Motrin) may reduce hangover headache and muscle pain, but should not be used if you are experiencing abdominal pain or nausea. The medications themselves are gastric irritants and can compound gastrointestinal hangover symptoms. Acetaminophen (Tylenol) should not be taken during a hangover because alcohol metabolism enhances acetaminophen's toxicity. Also, ibuprofen taken when dehydrated can sometimes cause kidney dysfunction, especially in persons who already have poor kidney function.

[info from http://about.com]

3) Drink Pedialyte 

Pedialyte was originally meant to replace fluid and electrolytes lost during diarrhea and vomiting. To use the hangover cure, simply open a packet and add it to 8 fluid ounces of water then drink it down. Pedialyte tastes better if it is served cold and should only be consumed every 1 to 4 hours.

[info from http://hangoverschool.com]

Try out these remedies and let me know if they work @allisonasbury.