Posted by admin on Thursday, March 15, 2012

Imagine. 

You're cruisin' through SXSW, badass badge in hand (because you BALLIN' like that), and totez ready to promote the hell out of ___________.

(Insert the name of your "new, cutting edge, original"  band/independent film/startup here)

You run into someone--a potential investor, manager or hell, P. Diddy--and you launch into your much-rehearsed elevator speech and whip out your iPad 6 (like I said, your ballin') to explain your baby but--GASP--

THERE'S NO WIFI! SONOFABITCHHHHHHHH!

And Puff ain't gonna scour the streets with you to find a Starbucks or some shit.

So what's an entrepreneur/artist/musician/filmmaker to do?! But wait! You suddenly recall that a few blocks ago there was a homeless man who wearing a t-shirt bearing the following:

I’M CLARENCE,
A 4G HOTSPOT
SMS HH CLARENCE
TO 25827 FOR ACCESS
www.homelesshotspots.org

YUP! In true entrepreneurial spirit (you respect that), BBH has created Homeless Hotspots, a service that has literally turned certain homeless people into WiFi hotspots.

Using the information on their t-shirts (see above), this "charitable innovation" enables you to log-in and pay (a recommended $2/15 minutes) via PayPal, all proceeds of which will go directly towards your WiFi provider. Clarence, for instance. The company compares this to a modernized version of the street newspaper model oft-used to support the homeless population. But digital because nytimes.com is wayyy more your speed. So now you're hooked up with WiFi, homeboy has got a little cash money and everyone's happy.

Except P. Diddy. He has no interest in making your band.

But there is some controversy--what has even been called a PR crisis--as various responses have categorized it as "dehumanizing," "horrifying," and even "darkly satirical science-fiction dystopia."

So is it really messed up OR is it a truly original way to create a mutually beneficial situation, ensuring often well-to-do and always wireless-reliant SXSW patrons their necessary WiFi while simultaneously providing the homeless with their necessary money. What do you think?

(Either way--courtesy of totalfratmove.com:

Using homeless people as WiFi hotspots. TFM

Thanks for the input, SigmaPiandBeerDie. )