Cheers to the Holidays!

Posted by admin on Wednesday, December 7, 2011

It's that time of year again. Time for Christmas lights, singing carols and visting relatives. How can any of these activities get any better you ask? Alcohol, of course! It's Santa's reason to stay jolly this season and it should be yours as well! These drink recipes will put a smile on your face and keep your heart warm with the holiday spirit.

1) Smoretini Shooters 

One of my friends found this recipe while using Stumble Upon. It would be great for a holiday party or for impressing your friends at a gift exchange. Enjoy!

makes 1 (2 ounce) shooter, easily multiplied

1/2 ounce marshmallow vodka (or vanilla, whipped cream or cake flavored vodka)

1/2 ounce Godiva chocolate liqueur

1/4 ounce Bailey’s Irish Cream liqueur

3/4 ounce cream/half and half

chocolate syrup or hot fudge

graham cracker crumbs

vanilla frosting for glass rimming

mini marshmallows

Dip the rim of you glass in a bit of frosting, then dip into graham cracker crumbs. Pour about 1/2 teaspoon chocolate fudge into the bottom of the glass. Combine vodka, Baileys, Godiva and cream in a shaker (or water bottle with lid) with ice and shake for 15 seconds. Pour into glass. Top with mini marshmallows skewered on a toothpick.

For 8 shooters or 2 martinis, you will need: 4 ounces of marshmallow vodka, 4 ounces of Godiva chocolate liqueur, 2 ounces of Bailey’s and about 6 ounces of milk. Measurements obviously may change depending on your own preferred tastes.

Check out How Sweet Eats for more holiday drink/dessert recipes!

2) Holiday Cider

Those of you who live in Austin most likely know of a little cafe named Spider House. During the cold months they feature one of my favorite drinks called Spider Cider. My friends and I liked it so much we figured out how to make it our selves. This drink is great for curling up by a fire on cold nights!

Fill a glass 3/4 of the way full with your favorite type of apple cider.

Fill the other 1/4 of glass with Captain Morgan's spiced rum or a spiced rum of your choosing. (Add more or less rum for more or less fun). 

Heat in microwave until warm. 

Top drink with whipped cream and a sprinkle of cinnamon. 

Voila! Spiked apple cider!

3) Mexicocoa 

The Food Network  is a great place to find any holiday recipes, including drinks. I picked this mexican-hot cocoa drink from a long list of drink recipes and I believe you will like it as much as I do!

1 tbs. unsweetened cocoa powder

1 tsp. cinnamon

Pinch of chili powder

Pinch of cayenne pepper

3/4 cup almond milk (can substitute Irish Creme, coffee-flavored liqueur or milk)

Splash of agave nectar (can substitute honey or maple syrup) 

1 oz. Silver tequila

Paprika

Cinnamon stick

In a saucepan over low heat add the cocoa powder, cinnamon, chili powder and cayenne pepper. Toast until spices begin to release their aromas, about a couple of minutes. Using a small whisk or wooden spoon, slowly incorporate the almond milk. Raise the temperature to medium-high and bring to a slow simmer. Stir in the agave nectar and remove from the heat. Rim a mug by dipping into a saucer of water, blotting and dipping into saucer of paprika. Pour in tequila. Add hot cocoa mixture. Stir with a cinnamon stick and serve.
Enjoy these holiday drink recipes! To find more check out How Sweet Eats and the Food Network for more great ideas!
Tweet me your own drink ideas @allisonasbury.