Eating Healthy: Broke, College Kid Style

Posted by admin on Wednesday, October 24, 2012
Photo Credit: www.fordifferent.com

I know a slice of pizza and a can of coke may seem too tempting to ignore, but PUT THAT JUNK FOOD DOWN. I know you’ve heard of the Freshman 15; let’s not make that a Freshman 30, now. Despite what you’ve heard, what you’ve been told and what you’ve been stuffing your face with lately, the words healthy and college can be used in the same sentence (see, look, I just did it right there). Here are 3 simple and easy recipes that will fill your tummy and hopefully trim a couple of inches off of your waistline:

1. Flatbread Pizza:  Buy Flat-out flatbread (90 calories per flatbread piece) and spread low-sodium tomato spaghetti sauce on a slice.  Next, sprinkle low-fat shredded mozzarella all over the pizza (only a thin layer; don’t go overboard). After you’ve done that, top the pizza with all of your favorites. Go for turkey pepperoni, spinach, mushrooms and other healthy options. Cook the pizza in the oven at 350 degrees Fahrenheit until the cheese is completely melted.
  2. Chicken and Sautéed Veggies over Wheat Pasta: Boil whole-wheat noodles, according to the directions on the package of whichever brand you purchase. Next, add 2 tbsp. of olive oil into a pan on medium heat. Put chopped celery, spinach, carrots, grape tomatoes, and chicken into the pan. Add one tbsp. of minced garlic and sprinkle on some celery salt. The tomatoes will make a sauce-like mixture with the rest of the ingredients. Sautée the ingredients in the pan for at least 15 minutes (until the tomatoes make an almost sauce-like mixture with the rest of the ingredients). Combine the noodles with the sautéed chicken and veggies.
  3. Turkey Minestrone: Buy a package of pre-made minestrone soup mix (my favorite low-cal option is Bear Creek Minestrone). Follow the directions on the package. While the soup is cooking, chop carrots, celery, mushrooms, tomatoes, and any of your other fave veggies (stick to non-starch vegetables, y’all). Add these into the soup. Also, brown ground turkey (about 2 pounds) in a separate frying pan. Again, add this into the soup once it has been cooked. Let everything soak in for about 5 minutes, and it’s ready to serve. P.S.: You’ll have leftovers for days, too.

No more excuses. Go big (or, in this case, small) or go home!