Drinking Games Through The Ages

Posted by admin on Monday, September 20, 2010

Boozin’ Since B.C.

Drinking Games are the icing on top of the college experience, and life for that matter. Don’t think that your generation was the first to enjoy the fun and competition of drinking games. The history of drinking games goes back millennia.

Ancient Greece

Greeks Playing Kottabos

The object of Kottabos was for a player to spit the wine through the air without breaking apart, towards a target. The person who hits the target would get prizes. The prizes ranged from kisses from servant boys or girls to special cakes. I am glad I wasn’t a Greek servant. Cleaning up wine being spit everywhere doesn’t seem very fun.

Ancient China

The Chinese Played A Game Involving Dolls and Alcohol

The Chinese had many games of wit and intelligence that involved drinking. My favorite was a simpler game involving little puppets and dolls dressed as foreigner. The dolls were set up and when one fell over, the person it pointed to had to drink their cup of wine.

Ireland

The Irish Drink From The Silver Dress

During the 18th century, the Irish had some fun ways to get wasted. While pouring liquid down the silver milkmaid's skirt, the drinker must balance the full pail below and drink it all in, to avoid a disastrous soaking. The Irish knew how to have a good time.

France

The French Enjoyed A Messy Drinking Game

A drinking game that was played in 14th century France used a special drinking jug with holes in it. The participant was given the jug and had to drink the wine, while tilting it just right to avoid getting drenched in alcohol. I am guessing some people took a wine-shower after a few cups.

Modern Day

Modern Day People Enjoy A Myriad Of Drinking Games

Today there are dozens, if not hundreds of drinking games enjoyed by alcohol enthusiasts. Arguably the most popular is beer pong. It is commonly accepted that beer pong was first played in the 1950s at Dartmouth College. Back in the day, many used the actual ping pong paddles to hit the balls in. The paddle-less version, also known as Beirut likely began in the 1980s.

- Bill Bowman