College Students and Stress

Posted by admin on Tuesday, March 6, 2012

It's inevitable in college to get overwhelmed with excessive homework, hardcore exams, relationship drama and family issues that follow you all the way to school from home. You can't hide from it, so you might as well confront it. Or I have a better idea--prevent stress from escalating up to level 20. Stress can prevent productivity in school, affect sleep pattern, and even attack immune system, which all lead to a disastrous ending. We got you covered on how to manage your stress and survive the rest of the semester! We'll give you the tips, you just have to follow them.

1. Work Out

We all know that working out is a great stress reliever and takes your mind off of everything else --no matter what the problem is. The great thing about working out is that there are so many different methods --cardio, weights, pilates, yoga, kickin some serious ass in a kick-boxing class --seriously, the possibilities are endless. And why aren't you working out? Because you don't have time? We'll address that later, but squeezing in 30 minutes-1 hour can make a huge difference giving your mind a break and toning those muscles, which is always a plus. Switch up your workout methods so you don't get bored and always challenge yourself! Leave it all in the gym, or court, or track - whateva's cleva for you.

2. Time Management-

Everyone always tells you how important time management is, but how often do you actually follow through? Juggling work, school, relationships, social life, working out, and everything else on a college student's plate can become too much. Managing everything on a calendar for your desk, wall, computer, or even your cell phone can be a lifesaver. Why, I'm glad you asked. The hell week quickly approaching with three tests all on the same damn day doesn't have to be as stressful IF you plan ahead. Seeing a hectic schedule on your calendar gives you time to prepare instead of cramming everything and bombing those exams. Moral of the story? Plan ahead and actually STICK to your schedule to avoid chaos later.

3. Surround yourself with friends-

This may sound cliche, but it's the real deal Holyfield. Drowning yourself in your sorrows will only make the situation worse and draining. Instead, having friends around for a good laugh or just to vent can serve as a great pick-me-up and help you bounce back to your old self in no time. Ever heard that laughter is the best medicine? Well it's true. When you need a break from life, camp out in front of YouTube and crack up at the idiots inflicting their own injuries or at your favorite comedy to pick up your spirits. Everyone needs a sounding board every now and then. Confide in someone you trust and let it all out. (Ice cream, junk food, and tissues are always welcome)

4. Learn to say NO-

You can't be everywhere all the time. You don't have super powers, which would be nice for managing your stress load. Instead, reincorporate a word we all learned at a very young age:  NO. "Hey, can you help me on my science project?" "NO, I'm sorry I have tons of homework." "Hey, can you take me to the grocery store?" "NO, I have a test this week, sorry." See, easy. Helping others is great, but when it gets in the way of being productive, then you have to eliminate how much you help others. We're all in college; no one's going to cut you off for having your priorities in check.

5. Sleep-

Minimal sleep leads to extreme crankiness and NO ONE wants to be around a crankster. Guzzling energy drinks and coffee every few hours is only detrimental in the long run. Slow down on the caffeine shots and actually get a good night of rest to conquer whatever tomorrow holds. Three-four hours isn't sleep, but more like a solid power nap. Anyways, depriving yourself of sleep for days only makes you crash in the end. Prevent crashing by managing your time effectively, saving money from cutting back on caffeine, and getting six-eight hours of rest. I promise, you'll thank me.

Tweet me ways you manage your stress @theCHANNINGshow.