Can binge drinking make you happier? Survey says YES!

Posted by admin on Friday, August 24, 2012

I'm on the pursuit of happiness...

Now, I'm not one to condone drinking (HA!) but let's face it...you can't deny science. And right now science is telling you to go out and drink until you're happy, people. (Bill Nye's cracking one open as we speak.)

A study by Colgate University recently found that college students who partake in binge drinking* are both happier and more socially satisfied than their peers who don't chug, shotgun and bong their way into oblivion.

Sobriety=sadness?! Read on...

Carolyn Hsu, an associate professor of sociology at Colgate, co-authored the study, which surveyed 1,600 students.  Results found that social satisfaction was higher  among members of "high-status" groups--i.e.wealthy, white, frat boys (i.e. vom)--who more typically engage in binge drinking, than it was within "low-status" groups (i.e. poor, LGBTQ non-Greek minorities). BUT the so-called "low-status" groups do have a way to raise their social satisfaction to that of the high-status groups--and that is by binge drinking.

(BECAUSE DRINKING IS COOL! You wanna be cool, don't you?!)

Results found that desired levels of social acceptance, on par with that of the "high-status" groups, could be reached by members of the "low-status" groups simply by downing a few too many.

Soooo...shots for social satisfaction? A little Hennessy for yo' happiness?

Hell...cheers to cheering up.

*According to ABC News' Medical Unit, "binge drinking is defined as consuming more than four drinks per session for females and consuming more than five drinks per session for males"