ACL 2012 Recap

Posted by admin on Tuesday, October 16, 2012

It is the week after ACL, and there is not much else that people are talking about, except for maybe the Longhorn's lamentable loss to OU.  Actually no one wants to talk about that really, but whatever, OU still sucks!  So, let's move on to one of the good things that did happen this weekend: ACL!!!

This was my first year going, and I had one of the best musical experiences of my life.  Here is my recap of the most memorable moments of ACL 2012:

Discovering news bands- I had the opportunity to see some bands that I did not know or  had not really listened to; I was pleasantly surprised.  My favorite discoveries were probably Caveman and Los Campesinos!.  Other newcomers that were fan favorites included Ben Howard and Childish Gambino.

Donald Glover, comedian and rapper, performed on Sunday as Childish Gambino. This ACL newcomer was a crowd favorite.

The rain-  This was a good thing and bad thing.  On Saturday, it made for a fresh and cloudy day.  I was waiting to see The Shins when it started to pour.  That did not get anyone down though.  If anything it added to the magical, festival experience of the performances.  Unfortunately, it made for nasty, pig-style smelling park and muddy shoes and bodies on Sunday.

Some loved the mud resulting from the rain that fell during ACL weekend.
Photo Credit: Guest of a Guest

Spotting celebs- Yes, there were some celebrity sightings happening at ACL this weekend! While I did not see Ryan Gosling (bummer), I did see Natalie Portman and Michael Fassbender.  They were filming for their new movie, an untitled project by Terrence Malick, during Iggy and The Stooges.  They were all over each other, so we can assume they are going to be a part of the love triangles rumored to be central to the plot of the movie.  In addition, Ryan Gosling and Rooney Mara were filmed as they performed with The Black Lips.

Natalie Portman and Michael Fassbender were seen filming at ACL along with other celebs for Terrence Malick's new film.
Photo Credit: natalieportman.com

Food- While some of the munchies at ACL were lackluster and merely overpriced fast food, others were delicious and unique bites not typical at a large fest like this.  Favorites included Goodpop all-natural popsicles, Boomerang's savory pies and The Mighty Cone! chicken cones.

Goodpop was one of the many vendors at the Austin Eats food court. Its refreshing popsicles kept festival-goers cool.

This cool frame!- This awesome man-sized picture frame was too cute! It was perfectly positioned for festival-goers to snap a pic with the park grounds and downtown Austin in the background.

This custom-built frame provided a picture-perfect photo opp.
Photo credit: austinchronicle.com

Florence Welch- Ok, I'm not going to lie; I didn't actually see Florence + The Machine, except for the last song, "Dog Days Are Over."  They were playing at the same time as Weezer, and I am sorry, but I had to go with a band from my childhood.  Anyway, the one song I did see was amazing, and too many people that I know and trust could not stop talking about how awesome the entire show was.  She was a crowd pleaser and got high marks for it.

Florence + the Machine was a crowd favorite at ACL.
Photo credit: austin360.com

Crazy Iggy- Iggy Pop from Iggy and the Stooges is still going strong!  This guy got the crowd going, especially when he asked the crowd to bum rush the stage.  People jumped over fences and security to join him.  They danced with him, and he hugged them all after the song was done.  This guy is cool in my book!

Iggy Pop from The Stooges rocks out on Sunday.
Photo Credit: Collective Vision, Statesman Photo & Multimedia Blog

Somebody That I Used to Know- This was hilarious because many people went to see Gotye only to see him perform "Somebody That I Used to Know," the hit single we all love, whether we admit it or not.   They saved the song for the end, and Kimbra joined him on stage.  Despite the number of drunk people singing along, it sounded pretty great.

"Somebody That I Used to Know" memes never get old. Gotye and Kimbra performed the hit at ACL to a large crowd.

RHCP- This was a great moment for me personally because Red Hot Chili Peppers are my all-time favorite band.  They were the closing act of the festival.  These guys took the night and played a lot of their hits such as "Under the Bridge" and "Snow," as well rare jams such as "Sir Psycho Sexy" and "They're Red Hot."  I was surrounded by a mass of sweaty people, but my prime spot near the front allowed me to see some of the main action like Flea, the bassist, doing a handstand.  It was the perfect ending to my ACL experience.

Michael "Flea" Balzary, Josh Klinghoffer and Anthony Kiedis from Red Hot Chili Peppers go all out on stage.
Photo Credit: facebook.com/aclfestival

Needless to say, this ACL was a success.  I can't wait for the next one.  For those of you who went, I hope you had a great time.  Hope you get a chance to attend next year for what will now be a two-weekend extravaganza.