Techo Mezcaleria and Agave Bar

“Climb the outdoor staircase between Mi Madre’s and the pub next-door, step through the slim salvaged-wood doors and Dios mío, you’re in Mexico!”

By Charlotte McClure, University of Texas at Austin

Photo by The Austin Chronicle

Spring break is nigh, and you’re not going to Mexico.

You will not watch the sun melt into the ocean while wearing next to nothing and drinking tequila-based calorie bombs. You will not day-drink into oblivion while baking to a crisp golden-brown on the pristinely sequestered white beaches (the sand, I mean) of Cancun.

Instead, you’re headed to Austin. This has its benefits.

You don’t have to get your body beach-ready, and you don’t have to convince your girlfriends they really, seriously, I swear Christie I wouldn’t lie to you, look insanely hot in that bikini.

In Austin, you get to trade that sketchy budget flight for a flight of free SXSW drinks. And most importantly, you get to revel in the singularly millennial spectacle that is South by Southwest.

During this bizarre and overwhelming time, you may find at some point that you desperately need a place to recharge. Forget about your favorite coffee shop, taco joint or low-key restaurant.

They will be booked and/or completely overrun by out-of-towners with more money (less personality) than you.

You need to get away from the downtown core, and you need to get a drink.

Enter Techo. Its name means rooftop in Spanish, which is perfect since it’s located on the roof of long-time taco pleasure house, Mi Madre’s.

RECOMMENDED
A Weenie’s Guide to Working Out

Climb the outdoor staircase between Mi Madre’s and the pub next-door, step through the slim salvaged-wood doors and Dios mío, you’re in Mexico! But like, nice Mexico.

The bar is a dark, richly textured space with room for about twenty. Candles throw warm light against the tiled ceiling and upholstered chairs practically beg you to sit down. The bartender, whose name is (probably) Mike, greets you by name. Wait, when did you tell him your name? You just got here…or did you?

Bottles of mezcal line the wall behind the bar and Mike pulls them down one by one.

He tells you about the varying notes of honey, floral and smoke in each and you nod, dazed and not a little confused. You came here to get drunk, and you will. But you’ll do it calmly, slowly, and it will taste very, very good.