BBHMM Video is “Saw” Featuring Rihanna

By: Vanessa Delgado

Rihanna’s recently released music video to her infectious song “Bitch Better Have My Money” has stirred up a wave of controversy. Following its drop on VEVO, a frenzy of offended viewers began excoriating its content, but

Google “BBHMM” and the top headlines include “Rihanna’s Violent ‘BBHMM’ Music Video Divides Fans,” as well as “Rihanna’s BBHMM Video Carries Feminist Message.” Anyone familiar with pop icon Rihanna knows she isn’t famous for her squeaky-clean image.

She stands out for her eccentric style, edgy and catchy songs and her nonchalance toward weed. She fittingly titled her Instagram handle “Badgalriri” and boasts more than 22 million followers. Throughout her career, Rihanna has successfully evolved into the resident bad girl in the mainstream music community, using her provocative lyrics and image as her selling point.

When I first watched the “BBHMM” video, I knew what I to expect. The controversial music video has graced almost every online media outlet, inciting a grab bag of emotions. From angry mothers to confused fans, the raunchiness and violence of the video astounded viewers.

Like a scene out of The Godfather, Rihanna’s video features kidnappings, drugs, torture, nudity and violence involving knives, guns and chainsaws. The video closes with Rihanna caked in her victim’s blood, sitting atop a giant mound of cash.

Personally, I thought the video was awesome. It fit the song and made me feel like I was watching a movie. I don’t know if it was the topless woman swinging upside-down or the huge, mysterious trunk she carried around, but I couldn’t tear my eyes away from the screen.

People were astounded that Rihanna—a victim of domestic violence herself—would produce such a bloody video. In case anyone here has been living under a rock, Rihanna was badly beaten by her ex-flame Chris Brown in 2009.

Her fans took to the always-entertaining comment section to climb up onto their virtual soapboxes, throwing in their two cents. “I’m surprised she’d make a video with such violence towards women, with what she went through with Chris Brown???” wrote one.

People want to put public figures and celebrities in boxes of political correctness and G-rated content. For some, the “BBHMM” music video was interesting and entertaining, but for others it brimmed with political intrigue, hidden Illuminati references and even feminism. Ultimately Rihanna is an artist, and art can be interpreted in a thousand different ways.

Because her work is subjective everyone—even Internet trolls—are entitled to their opinion. Still, mainstream musicians like Rihanna aim to get people talking about their songs to boost views and sales. Its release may not have been met with unanimous public approval, but considering the video’s 22 million views on YouTube and the buzz surrounding “BBHMM,” it’d be hard to call the video anything less than a massive success. Say what you want about “BBHMM,” but don’t say you didn’t watch the whole thing.