Color-Changing Condoms Aim to Reduce Spread of STI’s through Awkward Moments

Three students working for the Isaac Newton Academy have invented color-changing condoms that can tell users if they have a sexually transmitted disease, and are calling the product the S.T.Eye.

Proper condom use for veggiesWhen the condom is exposed to bacteria indicative of certain sexual diseases, the condom changes colors: green for chlamydia, yellow for herpes, purple for HPV and blue for syphilis.

The product is only a prototype and is years away from necessary FDA testing that it would require to become available.

The idea, however, should prompt sexually active individuals to consider getting themselves checked out for disease all the more. If these products ever do become popular, the last thing anyone would want would be to discover they have an STD right before they’re trying to have sex.

On the other hand, finding out the bad news before you have sex is kind of the point. Even if these condoms kill the mood, that’s a good thing.

The only possible downside I can think of, is that if someone knows they have a sexually transmitted infection than they would avoid wearing one of these. Instead of wearing a condom and possibly avoiding the transfer of disease, the embarrassment the color-changing condom would bring could cause them to avoid wearing protection at all—producing an unintended backfire.

So keep practicing safe sex, getting tested for infection and choosing partners you trust. Hopefully you’ll never have to see one of these color-changing condoms turn from beige into bright green right before your eyes, but if you it does—you’re welcome.